Sometimes it is very tough to cook for my family. I have to work around food allergies and intolerances. Of course they are different for everyone in the family. So normally I end up cooking a lot of separate items so everyone can feel good and eat well. But it is a lot of work!
It’s pretty rare that I make casseroles. It’s hard to make one that we can all eat. But last week I came up with a super easy casserole that we all enjoyed! I actually did make it three different ways to meet our needs. The big difference was that making different versions didn’t require any extra work.
The main recipe uses tortilla chips, ground beef, tomato sauce, beans and cheese. I left the cheese out for my son’s dairy free version. My version was simply ground beef, cheese and beans so that it was corn and tomato free.
This casserole is naturally gluten, egg, rice and nut free. You can make it dairy free by leaving out the cheese. There is still plenty of flavor. If you don’t tolerate corn you can substitute another starch like cooked rice or quinoa.
I loved that I found a way to use up the bits of tortilla chips at the bottom of the bag instead of throwing them away. If you’re looking for a super easy, allergen-friendly dinner this is it.
- 1 lb. ground beef (or turkey or chicken)
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. tapioca flour, arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 cups pinto beans (cooked)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded cheese (optional)
- salt and garlic powder to taste
- Brown the meat. Season with salt and garlic powder.
- With the heat still on, sprinkle the flour over the meat and mix.
- Add the tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste. Remove from heat.
- Heat the oven to 350*F.
- In a 2 qt. casserole layer 1/3 of the crushed chips, 1/3 of the meat mixture and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layering two times.
- Bake, covered, for 35 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake another 5 minutes.
- The tortilla chips can be replaced with another starch like cooked rice or quinoa.
- This can be turned into a skillet meal by sprinkling the cheese and chips into the pan of meat after simmering the sauce.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.