One meal that I know my kids will always devour is salmon cakes. It’s kind of an odd meal for small children to love. But they do. And it makes me so happy.
Recently I decided to change things up a bit and make zucchini salmon cakes since zucchini is in season. I wondered if my kids (one with texture issues and one that is very picky with vegetables) would still enjoy them.
To my great surprise and delight they did!! Both kids loved them!
These zucchini salmon cakes still have the flavor of a salmon cake. But there is actually way more zucchini than salmon in them. So you get the benefits of salmon combined with vegetables. And even if your kids won’t eat another vegetable with the meal you know they are at least getting some. That is my kind of meal!
Zucchini salmon cakes are very easy to make. They also work well for a lot of special diets since they are grain, dairy and nut free.
We had these as our main dish for dinner. But they were also great cold the next day for lunch. I honestly think my kids liked them better that way. I even love them cold for breakfast. It’s a great way to start my day with fish, eggs and vegetables. Plus it’s already prepared, so breakfast is easy.
I serve them with homemade mayonnaise. They would also be good with pesto. These zucchini salmon cakes are even meaty enough to be used as burgers! Put one on a bun with your favorite toppings for a change of pace.
If you’re looking for a delicious and nourishing summer meal this is it. There is no need to turn on the oven. Just fry up some zucchini salmon cakes. They are great for the whole family.
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini, drained (about 3 medium zucchinis)
- 1 6 oz. can of boneless skinless salmon
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder)
- Lard, coconut oil or palm shortening for frying
- Grate the zucchini. Place in a strainer to drain for about one hour. Squeeze out excess liquid.
- Combine the zucchini, salmon, eggs, flour and seasoning.
- Cover the bottom of a large pan with fat. Heat over medium heat.
- Scoop balls of zucchini mixture and form into patties. Place in hot pan.
- Cook until browned on bottom, about 7 minutes. Flip. Cook until the other side is browned.
- Serve warm.
- If you like the cakes to be really firm add 1/2 cup coconut flour instead of 1/3 cup.
- The zucchini salmon cakes can be used as burgers and served on buns.
- The zucchini salmon cakes can be served warm or cold, as breakfast. lunch or dinner.
- Homemade mayonnaise or pesto make great dipping sauces for the zucchini salmon cakes.
- The salmon can be replaced with tuna.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.