I am a sucker for scones. I just love them! They are great for breakfast, snacks or even dessert. I even serve them with soup quite often.
With zucchini abounding I decided to make zucchini scones.
My daughter does not always share my love of scones. So she was not too excited when I told her what I was making.
With that in mind I changed my scone idea slightly and made chocolate zucchini scones. Everyone was very happy!
These scones are gluten, dairy, egg and nut free. They stay soft and moist. My daughter devoured hers. My son actually calls them brownies. That’s how good they are.
If you have some extra zucchini try using it for scones. You’ll have a wonderful breakfast treat that is also filled with vegetables.
Chocolate zucchini scones freeze well. So make a big batch. Eat some now and save some for later.
Do you love scones? Even if you don’t you’ll love these.
- 2 cups any combination of gluten free flours (i.e. amaranth, sorghum, rice, tapioca)
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 Tbsp. pureed squash, pumpkin or applesauce
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar, sucanat or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. flax seed
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 cup organic cocoa powder or carob powder
- 1/2 cup organic palm shortening, butter or coconut oil, softened
- 3 Tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, nuts and/or dried fruit (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350*F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, flax seed and cocoa powder.
- Add the zucchini, squash, honey and fat. Mix well.
- Stir in the chips, nuts or fruit.
- Drop by mounds onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from pan.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.