Broth burgers are so full of flavor you can eat them with a knife and fork like a steak. No need to figure out how to make a gluten free or grain free bun.
One of the great things about this recipe is that it only takes about fifteen minutes to prepare. While the burgers are cooking you can make a simple side – saute some vegetables, prepare a salad or even cook some rice. You’ll have a full dinner on the table in no time.
You can make the burger as simple or complex as you like. I usually just do ground beef with a little seasoning. We like it simple.
You could also add grated or pureed vegetables, egg or even mashed beans or lentils to boost the nutrition and stretch your meat a bit.
While the burgers rest you create the sauce. Then pour the sauce right over the burgers or soak a bun in the broth.
Broth burgers are also good served on a bed of rice, mashed potatoes or squash.
The next time you need a nutritious meal on the table quickly try making broth burgers. Fast food does not have to be junk food. You can make broth burgers in the same amount of time it would take to drive to a restaurant and order. But you’ll be fueling your body with good stuff by making your meal at home.
This is also a great way to sneak more broth into your family’s diet. Every little bit helps!
- 1 lb. ground beef (or turkey, chicken or pork)
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs to taste
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, tallow or lard
- optional: 1/4 cup pureed vegetable, 1 egg, 1/4 cup mashed beans
- 1/2 - 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- Heat the oil in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet.
- Combine the ground meat, seasoning and vegetables/egg (if desired).
- Form 4-6 burgers.
- Cook in hot skillet over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Cook the onions in the pan at the same time.
- Remove the burgers from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Add the broth to the pan (with onions still in the pan).
- Turn heat to high and simmer for about 3 minutes, until the broth reduces and thickens.
- Serve the broth/onion sauce on the side with the burgers.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.