You can use gluten free pumpkin bread or even grain free nut butter pumpkin bread or grain free coconut flour pumpkin bread (bake it today so you are all set for Christmas morning) for a breakfast loaded with flavor. Or you can use whatever bread you have on hand. Even stale bread will work!
Layers of bread, an eggy pumpkin custard and a bit of sweetness bake together for a perfect treat.
Pumpkin french toast is so easy to prepare. It takes about ten minutes to get it in the oven. Then you can snuggle with the kids or open stocking stuffers until breakfast.
My kids love pumpkin french toast. I love that they are eating eggs and pumpkin for breakfast! This is even great for small children since they can eat it with their hands and it’s soft (use the coconut flour bread for kids under one year of age).
No standing at the stove flipping bread. No messy syrup for little ones (if you don’t want it). Just an easy treat you can get in the oven quickly.
No guilt with this breakfast either. Just full bellies and lots of nourishment.
I made our pumpkin french toast dairy free using vanilla coconut milk. That really added to the flavor and allowed the whole family to enjoy it.
- 1 small loaf of gluten free dairy free pumpkin bread, sliced (see post for recipe link) or 8 slices gluten free dairy free bread
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin or squash
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or milk substitute (vanilla coconut milk works well)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- Grease a 9" square baking pan.
- Slice the bread.
- In a bowl combine the pumpkin, eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, vanilla and syrup.
- Pour 1/3 of the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Lay the slices of bread in the pan (it will be about two layers of bread).
- Pour the remaining mixture over the bread and spread around to make sure all of the bread is covered.
- Bake at 375*F for 45 - 60 minutes.
- Serve plain or topped with syrup, honey or whipped cream.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.