Dates and fruit add a touch of sweetness while flax seeds, avocado, egg yolks and vegetables provide critical fats, vitamins, minerals and omega-3’s.
The health nut is a very mild smoothie. There are no strong flavors that overpower. It is perfect for kids.
This smoothie does require a little bit of forethought. You should soak the dates in warm water for a bit before using them. The dates plus the soaking liquid will help sweeten the smoothie better that way. I just put the dates and water in the blender the night before and add the rest of the ingredients in the morning.
You can adjust the amount of dates and fruit to your liking to make the smoothie sweeter if desired.
This smoothie is great as part of your breakfast or lunch or even for a mid-day snack. Pour some in a travel mug with a straw and sip on it throughout the day when you need a little pick-me-up.
- 3-4 dates, pitted, soaked in 4 Tbsp. warm water
- 1 small or 1/2 medium apple
- 10 -15 grapes (red or green)
- 1 medium stalk celery
- 1/2 medium carrot, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1/4 cup whole milk yogurt, kefir, coconut milk yogurt, milk or coconut milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 Tbsp. flax seeds
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Soak dates in warm water over night or at least 3 hours.
- Combine the soaked dates (with liquid) and the remaining ingredients in a high powered blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator or freezer.
- You can soak the dates in the blender.
- The egg yolk, flax seeds and avocado are all optional, depending on your tolerance.
- You can substitute cucumber for the celery.
- You can substitute cooked squash or pumpkin for the carrot.
- You can add 2 Tbsp. soaked nuts if you tolerate nuts.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.