My oldest does get an organic sucker once in a while. It’s a good substitute if she’s in a situation where other kids are getting treats. Though I still try to limit them. I’m not a fan of the unknown “natural flavor.”
With my son’s allergies to corn and rice he has not had candy in over a year. And before that I think he had maybe tried a sucker a few times. Even the organic suckers have rice. I feel bad for him sometimes. He feels left out. Plus he sees his big sister having suckers. He should get a treat too.
So I’ve been wanting to try making homemade candy for some time. I finally did it! This Valentine’s Day you can surprise your kids with homemade candy!! Even if they have allergies.
Let me tell you…my son was so excited about this! He loves this maple candy.
I love that it is made with all real ingredients. So there is no junk hiding in there.
Keep in mind that it is still a sweet and should be limited to special occasions.
Maple candy has a mild maple flavor and just enough sweetness. It’s what I imagine the maple candy tasted like in the Little House books.
This Valentine’s Day surprise your kids or any loved ones with homemade candy. It’s a very loving thing to provide a special treat that is hand made and keeps them away from the artificial stuff.
If you want something chocolate to go along with the suckers these chocolate covered toffee candies are perfect.
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Mix the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring.
- Simmer until the temperature reaches 300*F (this will take about ten minutes, the mixture will start to get thick/syrupy)
- Remove from heat.
- Stir for one minute.
- Pour into candy molds and let set until firm.
- You can add a few drops of essential oils for flavoring after removing the syrup from the heat.
- To make "plain" suckers simply use 1/2 cup sugar and 3 Tbsp. water.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to make a larger batch. Be sure to pour the hot mixture into molds quickly as it hardens very quickly.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.