Most of the time I do soaked gluten free pancakes. But once in a while it’s nice to change it up. These sourdough pancakes are perfect for variety.
There is no extra flour added to the sourdough starter. So you don’t have to worry about extra soaking/fermenting time.
Sourdough pancakes are thinner than regular pancakes. But they are still delicious. They also work well as wraps for sandwiches. You can make them thicker by adding extra flour to the batter. I make them both ways…and they are equally delicious!
This version of sourdough pancakes includes bacon. It’s the perfect paring. Slightly sour pancakes combined with salty bacon and sweet maple syrup make a delicious breakfast treat.
If you don’t want bacon you can add chocolate chips, dried, fresh or frozen fruit or nuts to the pancakes. You really can’t go wrong.
Does your family enjoy pancakes? Try sourdough bacon pancakes for a new twist on a classic breakfast.
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar or cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. bacon grease, melted (or butter or coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- Feed your sourdough starter the day before making the pancakes so you have at least 3 cups of starter.
- Combine the starter, sugar, egg, grease and salt.
- Sprinkle the baking soda on top. Gently stir.
- Pour 1/3 cup portions of batter onto a hot, greased skillet.
- Add crumbled bacon to each pancake.
- Cook until the edges get dry and the bubbles pop. Flip pancakes.
- Cook another minute.
- Serve warm with extra bacon, butter or coconut oil and maple syrup.
- These pancakes are quite flat. If you want more rise you can try adding 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar to the batter with the soda water.
- To make thicker pancakes add 1/2 cup all purpose flour or white spelt to the batter.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.