But I rarely eat bagels since we are mostly gluten free and don’t eat store bought bread.
After getting a donut pan for Christmas (and then another one for my birthday!) I thought it would be fun to use them to make bagels. It sure was.
My kids really enjoyed these bagels – especially with strawberry cream cheese. The homemade cream cheese is easy to make and does not contain any artificial colors or sweeteners. I make it using homemade powdered sugar.
Whether you want a bagel for breakfast on the go, a fun lunch component or a family brunch, these sourdough bagels are perfect.
If you don’t have a donut pan you can simply shape the dough into rounds and bake them on a greased baking sheet. They may look a little more rustic, but they’ll taste just as good.
Do you enjoy bagels with cream cheese? Now you can have a real food version.
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 2 cups spelt flour (or kamut, einkorn, whole wheat or rye)
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- Optional mix ins or toppings - flax seeds, sesame seeds, caraway seeds, poppy seeds, salt, garlic powder, onion powder
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup thawed strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (see recipe for link)
- 3 tsp. tapioca flour
- Feed your starter so you have at least 2 cups the day before making the bagels.
- Combine the starter, salt, water and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the flour and any optional add ins.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 1/3 cup portions.
- Roll the dough pieces into long snakes and make a ring, attaching the ends together.
- Place the bagels on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise 6-12 hours.
- Brush with egg white mixed with a little water before baking if desired for a shiny crust.
- Bake at 350*F for 40 minutes.
- Strain the yogurt well in a cheesecloth or tea towel to remove all of the liquid.
- Place the strained yogurt in a medium bowl.
- Add the strawberries (with liquid), sugar and flour. Beat well with a hand mixer.
- Put the cream cheese in the refrigerator and chill to solidify.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.