Take this short quiz to quickly identify your child’s primary Eating Style. Keep in mind everyone also has a secondary style, so if you notice some characteristics that describe your child to a lesser degree it could be his or her secondary style.
1. My child is usually the _______ one done with a meal:
c. in the middle
d. they forget to eat and wander away
2. My child’s ability to sit during a meal:
a. They kick and bang at the table.
b. They sit as long as they are next to Mom or Dad or on your lap.
c. They sit quite still.
d. They swing their legs and bounce in their seat, if they can sit at all.
3. My child’s typical breakfast habits:
a. They want breakfast right away and are ready to get going.
b. They prefer not to eat until mid-morning and are slow to get ready.
c. They like to eat at the same time every day and stick to a routine.
d. They will eat if breakfast is ready, but will forget to eat if it is not.
4. How my child chooses food at a meal:
a. They simply eat whatever they see.
b. They eat by a process, finishing one food at a time before moving on to the next.
c. They eat proficiently, chewing each bite thoroughly.
d. They play with the food before eating.
5. My child prefers _______ flavors:
a. spicy, strong, intense
c. bold – very salty, very sweet, or very tart
d. bright, fresh
6. My child prefers ________ textures:
a. chewy and mushy
b. soft and thin
c. crunchy, creamy, crispy
d. light, airy, fluffy
7. My child’s social habits at the table:
a. Talks loudly and likes to dominate the conversation.
b. Enjoys good conversations that makes them feel connected.
c. Prefers not to talk a lot; may even prefer to eat alone.
d. Likes to ramble and have fun, light-hearted conversations.
8. The word that best describes my child’s eating habits:
Eating Style Quiz Results
If you answered mostly A’s, your child is an Active Eater. Key characteristics of an Active Eater:
- Very loud
- Eats quickly, with large bites and little chewing
- Needs to be around other people
- Enjoys intensity (flavors, conversations, activities, etc.)
If you answered mostly B’s, your child is an Intuitive Eater. Key characteristics of an Intuitive Eater:
- Slow eater
- Eating tied to emotions
- Hard time with breakfast/getting going in the morning
- Favorite foods come and go every few weeks
If you answered mostly C’s, your child is an Analytical Eater. Key characteristics of an Analytical Eater:
- Can easily sit still and focus for long periods of time
- Thrives on structure and routine
- Does not get sick of their favorite foods/likes to eat the same foods over and over
- Relates to others through intellect and logic/thinks before speaking
If you answered mostly D’s, your child is an Adventurous Eater. Key characteristics of an Adventurous Eater:
- Generally happy and easy-going
- Likes to explore and try new things
- Curious and full of ideas
- Likes food to be fun
You can learn more about each Eating Style and how to feed your kids in the Nutritional Navigation course HERE.