This true blue-berry smoothie gives a double shot of flavor with both whole blueberries and blueberry juice.
A blueberry smoothie is great for really little ones because you can leave out the sweetener and it still has a lot of flavor. Just be careful how you serve it so it doesn’t get on everything!
If you or your kids are adventurous you can also add a few pieces of roasted beets. A little goes a long way in terms of changing the flavor. But it also adds a lot of nutrition. If you don’t tell your kids it’s in there they might not know. It won’t change the color.
You can also easily add elderberry syrup to a blueberry smoothie for extra immune system support.
If you are dairy free you can leave out the yogurt and add a bit of powdered probiotics instead. The smoothie will taste great without the yogurt. Or you can add some coconut milk for texture.
Every summer we load up on fresh Michigan blueberries while they are in season and freeze them. Then all winter long we can have delicious smoothies like this, knowing we’re using fruit from the peak of freshness.
If you do not have a blueberry stash in your freezer you can get frozen organic blueberries at the store. They are a better option than any fresh berries you find in the winter since it is not blueberry season.
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup pure blueberry juice
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt or coconut milk yogurt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. roasted beet (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. elderberry syrup (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator or freezer.
- To make this into popsicles simply pour the smoothie into popsicle molds and freeze until solid.
- If you serving the smoothie to a child under one year of age leave out the honey.
- You can omit the egg yolks if you are allergic to eggs.
- The yogurt can be left out or replaced with coconut milk yogurt or coconut milk to make this dairy free.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.