When it comes to Valentine’s Day nothing beats chocolate. Get your fix with this divine chocolate cake that can be mixed by hand and made gluten free!
Stop what you’re doing and run to the kitchen.
Wait, read this post first. Then run to the kitchen to make this divine chocolate cake. Trust me, your family will be singing your praises.
Chocolate always wins.
When it comes to sweets I always pick chocolate anything. Especially for Valentine’s Day. So naturally I like to make chocolate treats for my family.
My first thought…eat a dish of yogurt with big chunks of chocolate in it. That’s my idea of great treat!!
But that isn’t much of a recipe.
Instead I created a chocolate cake that uses melted chocolate for flavor and whole milk yogurt for moisture. I don’t go overboard with sugar either. The end result is a light chocolate cake that you’ll go crazy for.
I made two versions. One gluten free for my kids and one with wheat for my husband. Both cakes were so delicious! If my husband approves of a gluten free cake you know it has to be good.
My daughter even shared some with a friend at school (who is not gluten free) who raved about it.
For the gluten free cake I used my favorite gluten free flour mix. It worked perfectly!
Time to decorate.
But you can’t have cake without frosting! So I added a light chocolate buttercream and shavings of dark chocolate. Yep, I had some pretty happy kids.
The great thing about Divine Chocolates is that there are quite a few flavors. So you could change up the flavor of the cake. Simply shave flavored chocolate on top or add it right to the cake batter. The mint or raspberry would be amazing!
Are you looking for an easy and delicious dessert for your family?
- 1/2 cup chocolate of choice (see notes)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp. carob powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 cups AP flour or gluten free flour mix (see post for link)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup plain, whole milk yogurt
- Heat oven to 350*F. Grease and line with parchment paper two 8" or 9" round cake pans.
- Melt the chocolate, butter, carob powder and cocoa powder in double boiler. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and yogurt. Stir until combined.
- Add the melted chocolate. Stir until well mixed. The batter will be thick.
- Divide the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Frost and serve.
- For chocolate you can use any flavor of Divine chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- 1/3 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup organic palm shortening (or more butter)
- 1 cup organic powdered cane sugar
- 1 -2 Tbsp. organic cocoa powder
- Beat all ingredients together in a large bowl until well mixed and fluffy.
- To make powdered sugar simply blend organic cane sugar in a high powered blender until powdered.
- This makes enough to fill and top a two layer cake. Double the recipe if you also want to frost the sides.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.
I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.