Happy Birthday to me. Happy Pi Day to you. I’ve never been one to feel ashamed to share my age. It’s just a number. In fact I always thought it was fun to see someone’s reaction when they found out my age.
People have always thought I was significantly younger than I am. I have good genes I guess. It was frustrating in my mid-20’s to have someone come to our door and ask if my parents are home. It was embarrassing as a college student to have junior high boys trying to hit on me (for real). But I suppose as I get older I’ll enjoy it more.
Today I turn 34. Now start the three weeks out of the year when I can say I am a year older than my husband.
I don’t have any big plans for today. I have to collect laundry and clean bathrooms. I have to keep up with my energetic kids while still feeling tired and sometimes nauseous from pregnancy. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.
We’ll probably get take-out for dinner. That’s always my treat…I don’t have to cook, but I also don’t have to go out. I think it’s more work to eat at a restaurant with young kids than it is to eat at home. I was going to make blueberry pie…but time and energy did not cooperate. So I think I’ll take some gluten free chocolate cake out of the freezer instead. Maybe next week I’ll have time to make pie.
In honor of my birthday I thought I’d share 34 random things about me. Enjoy.
1. I LOVE soccer. I started playing in 7th grade and continued through college. I have played on and off recreationally since then. The really funny thing is that at barely 5’3″ I was always the goalkeeper. Now I like to play on the field.
2. My favorite color is blue. It’s my favorite color to wear, too.
3. When I was five years old I got a Cabbage Patch Kid for my birthday. Ever since then all I’ve ever wanted to do was be a mom. I feel so blessed that I am one now.
4. I have a bachelors degree in computer and electrical engineering. Before becoming a SAHM I designed missile release systems for military airplanes. I also have a patent from my career as an engineer.
5. I have always loved to read. I’m not a fast reader. But I enjoy it.
6. I have an older sister, an older brother and a younger brother.
7. I have two favorite desserts – ice cream and chocolate covered cheesecake.
8. I like a variety of foods, but I would be perfectly content to eat salad for dinner every day. I really love salad that much.
9. I do not like to travel, but I have been to quite a few countries – Honduras, Virgin Gorda, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, Czech Republic, Spain and Switzerland.
10. I LOVE to bake.
11. I have always wanted to be able to do gymnastics. I never got the opportunity to take classes when I was younger. But I tried to do stuff around the house on my own.
12. In junior high and high school I was a cheerleader.
13. I grew up in Grand Blanc. Then I lived in Grand Rapids. Now I live in Grandville. I guess I like to live in grand places…in Michigan.
14. My favorite school subject was always math.
15. When it comes to decorating I think less is more. My house, my wedding…whatever. I like to go very simple.
16. I have been baking and decorating cakes since I was little. Sometimes I think it would be fun to turn it into a business. But sometimes not. For now I mostly just make cakes for family. My “business” is called Dutch Girl Cakery and Crafts. I’d love to provide cakes and special treats for people that want real food or have allergies.
17. Thirty-four is a lot of things to say about myself. I’m not really that interesting.
18. I am an introvert.
19. I have had glasses since 7th grade. I only wear them for reading and when I’m at the computer. So very few people have actually seen me wear them.
20. I am 16 weeks, 5 days pregnant with baby #3. The baby is due August 24, but I will have a scheduled c-section sometime during the week before that.
21. I don’t drink alcohol. I don’t think I’ve ever tasted an alcoholic drink that I enjoy. I am also intolerant of alcohol. Just one sip makes all of the muscles in my body tighten up and makes me feel kind of yucky. So there really is no point.
22. Until my junior year of high school I had planned on becoming an elementary teacher.
23. I have hazel eyes. It’s the one feature that sets me apart from my siblings. Other than that we all look so much alike.
24. The first time I went camping was shortly after I got engaged. Camping was definitely not something my family did.
25. I started my site 5 1/2 years ago. My intent was simply to share recipes with my friends and family. I barely knew what a blog was. Little did I know it would lead me down this path of learning about real food and nutrition. Developing my passion for writing certainly has changed my life.
26. I would like to write a book someday…someday.
27. I don’t like white or brown/tan cars.
28. I can’t stomach liver. I’ve tried it all different ways. I just can’t do it. It may be one of the healthiest foods you can eat. But I just can’t do it.
29. I love to clean. I really do. But it’s much more fun when I have a lot of time and nobody interrupting me.
30. My daughter’s name is my middle name – Rebecca. My sister picked that name out for me when I was born. She cried when she found out it was my middle name instead of my first name.
31. I hate thunderstorms. When there is a storm there is always a chance the power will go out. When I was little a power outage meant no running water (we had a well)…which meant no bathrooms…which made my anxiety sky-rocket (I had an overactive bladder from a very young age). Now I live in the city. So even when the power goes out we have running water. But I still have instant anxiety whenever there is a thunderstorm. I hate it.
32. I don’t like cats…at all.
33. I have always been a daddy’s girl.
34. I was born with dark hair…which turned red until I was about two. Then it turned white blonde. I’ve been blonde ever since…which is good because I love blonde hair. I’ve never died or highlighted my hair. I doubt I ever will.
There you have it. Thirty-four random things about me. Enjoy your Pi Day. What is your favorite kind of pie? Mine has been and always will be blueberry!