If I could only have one bread item it would be a bagel. I fell in love with them at an early age and still love them now!
But I rarely eat bagels since we are mostly gluten free and don’t eat store bought bread.
After getting a donut pan for Christmas (and then another one for my birthday!) I thought it would be fun to use them to make bagels. It sure was.
Sourdough bagels make an easy week day breakfast. Spread on some homemade strawberry cream cheese, butter, coconut oil or jam. Then add a protein and breakfast is served.
My kids really enjoyed these bagels – especially with strawberry cream cheese. The homemade cream cheese is easy to make and does not contain any artificial colors or sweeteners. I make it using homemade powdered sugar.
Whether you want a bagel for breakfast on the go, a fun lunch component or a family brunch, these sourdough bagels are perfect.
If you don’t have a donut pan you can simply shape the dough into rounds and bake them on a greased baking sheet. They may look a little more rustic, but they’ll taste just as good.
Do you enjoy bagels with cream cheese? Now you can have a real food version.
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 2 cups spelt flour (or kamut, einkorn, whole wheat or rye)
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- Optional mix ins or toppings - flax seeds, sesame seeds, caraway seeds, poppy seeds, salt, garlic powder, onion powder
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup thawed strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (see recipe for link)
- 3 tsp. tapioca flour
- Feed your starter so you have at least 2 cups the day before making the bagels.
- Combine the starter, salt, water and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the flour and any optional add ins.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 1/3 cup portions.
- Roll the dough pieces into long snakes and make a ring, attaching the ends together.
- Place the bagels on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise 6-12 hours.
- Brush with egg white mixed with a little water before baking if desired for a shiny crust.
- Bake at 350*F for 40 minutes.
- Strain the yogurt well in a cheesecloth or tea towel to remove all of the liquid.
- Place the strained yogurt in a medium bowl.
- Add the strawberries (with liquid), sugar and flour. Beat well with a hand mixer.
- Put the cream cheese in the refrigerator and chill to solidify.