When it’s rhubarb season you have to make at least one thing with the classic strawberry rhubarb combination. Recently I made a batch of strawberry rhubarb muffins.
I love the combination of sweet and tart. I added a little cinnamon sugar topping to give them an extra punch of flavor.
I also love that they are so simple to make! It takes less than ten minutes to get them in the oven.
These muffins are very allergen-friendly with no gluten, dairy, rice or nuts. You don’t even have to use a milk substitute.
Make a big batch of muffins, serve some for breakfast and free some for later. It’s a great way to use fresh, spring rhubarb.
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour*
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour*
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour*
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, sucanat or cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil (or butter or palm shortening)
- 1/4 c up water or milk substitute
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup rhubarb, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. coconut sugar, sucanat or cane sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin tin or line with baking cups.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, syrup, salt, soda, powder, vanilla, eggs, coconut oil, cinnamon and water. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the strawberries and rhubarb.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle a little on each muffin.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown and baked through.
- Allow muffins to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
- *You can substitute any gluten free flour for the flours listed. It works best to include at least one "white" flour, such as tapioca or white rice. Using a combination of flours gives a more neutral flavor.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.