You’ve made muffins and coffee cake and pie. But you still have rhubarb and don’t know what to do with it. How about serve it for breakfast?
Rhubarb is a very versatile vegetable. If you pair it with a healthy, gluten free grain like quinoa you’ve got a power-packed breakfast.
This breakfast porridge is slightly tart and slightly sweet. It can be served warm or cold. You can make it fresh or prepare it in advance. You can serve it as-is or add all sorts of fun things for more texture and flavor. I added cranberries, raisins, butter and milk to mine. I also served some chopped nuts on the side for my husband.
If you don’t like or don’t tolerate quinoa you can easily swap it for oatmeal or rice.
Rhubarb isn’t just for desserts. It makes a great addition to your breakfast!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, diced
- 2 tsp. butter or coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. coconut sugar, sucanat, honey or maple syrup
- optional add-ins: dried fruit, nuts, milk, butter, coconut oil
- Soak the quinoa in water for 1 - 24 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium pan. Add the drained quinoa, cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep covered for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, in a small pan over med-low heat cook the rhubarb, butter and 3 Tbsp. sweetener until the rhubarb is tender (about 10 minutes), stirring periodically.
- After the quinoa and rhubarb are prepared, poor the rhubarb mixture into the quinoa and stir.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 Tbsp. syrup.
- Add any optional add-ins you desire (if serving immediately).
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- This can be prepared the day before and served cold or quickly reheated on the stove. If preparing in advance, add the optional ingredients just before serving.
- You can add other fruits (strawberries, cherries, etc.) to the cooked rhubarb for a sweeter flavor.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
If you order by clicking on any of my Tropical Traditions links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.
Just made this. Yum…
Such a delicious breakfast! Glad you enjoyed it.