Yes, I know it’s spring. So hot soup may not be the first meal that comes to mind. But soup is really great all year long.
It is packed with nutrition, of course. But what’s great about soup in the spring and summer is how easy it is to make so you have lots of time to play outside! Soup gets even easier when you make it in the crockpot. Toss the ingredients into the crockpot in the morning, go about your day and dinner is ready when you need it.
This soup was inspired by the classic Philly cheese steak sandwich. Beef, peppers and onions are simmered all day in a delicious broth. Then you can serve it topped with shredded cheese.
For my dairy free friends you can add a dollop of pureed squash to get the cheesy feel. Or just make the soup creamier with an extra splash of your favorite milk substitute.
Pair the soup with your favorite bread (I like to make garlic bread with this soup) or crackers. Add a fresh salad and dinner is served.
The whole family enjoyed this soup. I love how easy it is to make. The leftovers are great for lunches. Or you can make a big batch and freeze a whole meal’s worth so you have an even easier meal on hand.
This is also a very budget friendly meal. Ground beef, onions and peppers are very affordable!
Do you like Philly cheese steak sandwiches? You’ll love this soup version.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 - 2 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. season salt (I use Redmond)
- 1 cup milk or milk substitute
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheese of choice or 1/2 cup pureed squash (optional - for topping)
- Turn the crockpot to high.
- Add the beef, onion, peppers, salt, garlic powder and season salt. Spread out the beef.
- Cover and let cook for 1 hour to start browning the meat.
- Break up/stir the meat.
- Add the broth and milk.
- Cover and cook on high 3-6 hours or low 5 - 10 hours.
- Top with cheese or squash if desired when serving.