Ice cream has to be my absolute favorite food. I love to make homemade ice cream so that it is nutrient-dense and does not contain any chemicals. As an added bonus, when you make your own ice cream you can create any flavor you like!
We generally don’t have much cream all winter since our milk share goes down. But I recently found some good cream at a local farm store. I jumped at the chance to have good ice cream in the house again.
My daughter and I brainstormed flavors and came up with fudge caramel cone swirl. This flavor does take a little work up front since you have to make the fudge and the caramel. You could also make the cones (I happened to have some gluten free store-bought cones that I needed to use up). But it is well worth the time and effort.
Do you make your own ice cream? What is your favorite flavor?
- 3 cups heavy cream (raw if available)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups any combination of sweetener (cane sugar, maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar)
- 1-4 egg yolks (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. organic vanilla
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup fudge sauce
- 1/4 cup ice cream cone pieces
- Prepare the caramel sauce and fudge sauce. Allow the sauces to cool completely.
- Combine the cream, yolks, sweetener, salt and vanilla in a blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust the sweetness to taste.*
- Prepare the ice cream in an ice cream maker (this usually takes 15 - 20 minutes with a Kitchen Aide ice cream maker attachement).
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Mix the cone pieces into the ice cream. Drop spoonfuls of the fudge and caramel into the ice cream and gently swirl.
- Place the ice cream in the freezer until firm.
- *The ice cream batter should be slightly sweeter than you want the ice cream to taste. The sweetness will decrease as it freezes.