What’s summer without strawberry shortcake? If you are gluten and dairy free you don’t have to go without!
This shortcake has double the berries – both in and on the cake! Strawberry puree adds just enough moisture to the cake. Sweetened strawberries on top add a burst of flavor.
Double strawberry shortcake is a great baking project for kids. My three-year old loved helping. He especially liked to mash the berries for the topping.
For an extra treat, add vanilla ice cream on top of the cake before adding the sweetened strawberries.
If you don’t have any fresh strawberries left you can simply defrost frozen berries. So you can make this treat year round.
My kids definitely approved of double strawberry shortcake. I hope you do too.
- 1 cup any combination of gluten free flour (i.e. sorghum, tapioca, rice, amaranth)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar, sucanat or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup strawberries, pureed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled
- 2 Tbsp. honey, maple syrup, sucanat or coconut sugar
- Heat the oven to 350*F. Grease an 8" square baking dish.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients. Beat until well mixed.
- Pour into the greased pan.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Add sweetener to the strawberries.
- Mash lightly with a potato masher.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Serve the cake topped with sweetened strawberries. Add ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
- If using frozen strawberries, allow them to thaw before making the shortcake.
- The strawberries can be replaced with blueberries or raspberries.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
If you order by clicking on any of my Tropical Traditions links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.