Zucchini is a wonderful summer vegetable that can be used in so many ways. One delicious (and sneaky) way to add zucchini to your meal is to mix it with your pasta.
Zucchini pesto pasta incorporates zucchini in two ways. First it is blended in the pesto. Then grated zucchini is sauteed until it the liquid is released and the zucchini becomes soft and creamy. It can then be mixed right in with the pasta.
Even my picky vegetable eater didn’t notice it was there! But it added big flavor and lots of nutrition. As an added bonus this dish uses chicken broth. So it is very nutrient dense.
The pesto and the sauteed zucchini can be prepared in advance. Then when dinner rolls around all you have to do is cook noodles, add the remaining ingredients and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
You can keep the pasta simple or add cooked chicken and/or grated cheese for a well-balanced meal.
I love dishes that have lots of vegetables mixed right in. And zucchini pesto pasta definitely does just that!
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1/2 zucchini, grated or cut in chunks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- sea salt and garlic powder to taste
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil or butter
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups dry noodles (any variety - wheat, rice, corn)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked chicken (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (optional)
- seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder)
- Combine the pesto ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Add extra water or olive oil if the pesto is too thick.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Saute the zucchini in the oil/butter with salt until creamy and soft, about 15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta until almost done. Drain.
- Add the broth, sauteed zucchini, 1 cup pesto, chicken and seasoning to the cooked pasta.
- Simmer and stir occasionally until the broth reduces and the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add cheese if desired.
- Extra pesto can be served on the side or reserved for use as a salad dressing or dip.
- The pesto, sauteed zucchini and cooked chicken can all be prepared in advance.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. If you order by clicking on any of my Tropical Traditions links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.