Is your refrigerator still overflowing with zucchini? Are you wondering what to do with it besides baking with it or grilling it? Why not make pizza!
Zucchini pizza bites make a great snack, lunch or appetizer. They are very kid-friendly. They are naturally grain free and can be made dairy free as well.
We had them recently and made them a variety of ways. I made some with pureed squash or tomato sauce and toppings to be dairy free. I added cheese to some as well. They all had great flavor.
I actually had a little bit of leftover spaghetti meat sauce to use up. So there was practically no prep work involved. It was perfect for our Sunday evening simple dinner.
I love how the smaller ones are the perfect size for little hands and little mouths. Plus most kids will eat just about anything that you call pizza. So they are getting lots of vegetables and enjoying pizza without you having to make pizza crust!
I have a picky vegetable eater. So he was hesitant when he saw the zucchini. But once it was in his mouth he was all smiles. If your child is not a fan of zucchini, try peeling the zucchini first. Then once the pizza bites are topped you can’t even tell it’s a vegetable on the bottom.
The zucchini rounds are first baked to make sure they are cooked through and have good flavor. Then you add the toppings and bake them again for a few minutes.
Zucchini pizza bites make a fun, easy, allergen-friendly meal. Have you ever made pizza with your zucchini? If not, you should!
- Zucchini, sliced in 1/2 - 3/4" thick rounds
- Extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- Sea salt
- Preferred pizza toppings
- Slice the zucchini and place the round on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 450*F for about 30 minutes.
- Allow the rounds to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the rounds to a clean piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Add desired pizza toppings to each round (don't overfill them or they will be hard to pick up).
- Bake at 400*F for about 15 minutes.
- Allow the pizza bites to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Pureed squash makes a great substitute for cheese and/or pizza sauce.
- Do not slice the zucchini too thinly or it will be difficult to pick up.