Lately I’ve been serving fruit salad with our “breakfast for dinner” meals. I usually just do a mix of whatever fresh and frozen fruits we have on hand. We all enjoy it.
But last week I wanted something different. I also wanted something my son could eat (he’s allergic to grapes, bananas and pears…and he doesn’t tolerate citrus fruits well). That’s not easy to do.
I decided to use apples. I created a caramel apple salad that is so easy to make and so delicious!
My daughter actually licked every last drop of “caramel” off her plate. Both kids asked for seconds too. It was that good.
I love how simple this recipe is. It takes about three minutes to prepare and only has three ingredients. You can make enough for one or for a large group.
I served it as a simple fruit salad on the side. But this salad isn’t just for eating plain. It works as an ice cream topping, a dessert, a yogurt add-in (caramel apple yogurt…mmm) or a treat to mix in your oatmeal.
If you want to make the salad a bit fancier you can add chopped nuts, dried fruit or shredded coconut. You could also add a little heavy cream or coconut milk to make a creamy caramel apple salad.
I happened to have a little extra heavy cream in the fridge. So I topped ours with fresh whipped cream.
Dress it up, serve it plain, eat it for breakfast or as a dessert. No matter how you eat it, this caramel apple salad is quick, easy and so good!
- 4 large apples
- 4 Tbsp. coconut sugar or cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp. honey and/or maple syrup
- Peel and chop the apples.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate until the sugar is dissolved and a syrup has formed (about 1 hour).
- The apples make a great ice cream topping, dessert, yogurt add-in or oatmeal topping.
- Add 1 Tbsp. coconut milk or heavy cream for a creamy version.
- Add chopped nuts, dried fruit or shredded coconut for variety.
- Top with whipped cream to serve as a dessert.