No need to give up special treats just because you have allergies. These everything free chocolate cranberry cookies are free of gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts, corn, soy and coconut but they taste amazing!
I’m always on the lookout for allergen friendly recipes. But usually when a recipe says allergen friendly there is still something in it that my kids can’t have. So I have to be creative and do a lot of substituting. It also means I don’t bake many treats.
Sometimes you just need a cookie.
But we were all in the mood for cookies. So I came up with these everything free chocolate cranberry cookies. And since my son is allergic to cocoa his weren’t even chocolate chip. He just had cranberry cookies.
Being egg and dairy free I didn’t really think they’d turn out that well.
To my amazement they were so good. Actually the best cookie I have tasted in a long time. I think we ate a whole batch (half recipe) in about a day. I could have eaten them all myself…but I didn’t think my kids would be very happy about that.
Tallow is my secret.
I used tallow for the fat, which is about the best replacement for butter. Any softened fat will work including lard, palm shortening and butter. Even sunbutter could work. I generally don’t use coconut oil for cookies because they tend to all apart.
I replaced the eggs with grass-fed gelatin and water. They held together perfectly!
My favorite chocolate is Enjoy Life chocolate chips. No dairy, nuts or eggs.
Truly free of everything.
Even in my family with about a million different allergies we could all enjoy these everything free chocolate cranberry cookies. Which means they really are free of just about everything! Try putting your own spin on them by using any dried fruit, spices or even carob chips. Dried cherries would be delicious!
I think I need to make a double batch now to keep some stashed in the freezer. It’s nice to have an easy, truly allergen friendly treat on hand.
Are you searching for an allergen friendly cookie that actually tastes good?
The search is over! Everyone will love these everything free chocolate cranberry cookies, whether they have allergies or not!
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup fat of choice, room temperature (tallow, lard, butter, palm shortening) OR sunbutter
- 4 tsp. grass-fed gelatin
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. hot water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour (or sorghum)
- 1/2 cup teff flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 cup optional add-ins: chocolate chips, dried fruit
- Heat oven to 350*F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- Cream the sugar and softened fat.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the hot water.
- Add the gelatin water and honey to the creamed mixture. Beat well.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Beat well.
- Stir in any add-ins.
- Scoop 2 Tbsp. mounds of dough, an inch apart, onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Store the cookies in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 10 days or in the freezer for up to a year.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.