For my latest ice cream creation I made something dear to my heart…salted dark chocolate ice cream.
I love putting salt on my ice cream (crazy pregnancy hormones make me crave salty and sweet together…now I’m hooked). It really brings out the sweetness. I especially love adding salt to chocolate ice cream.
I figured I might as well put salt IN my ice cream instead of adding it every time I scoop a dish.
If you tolerate nuts, chopped almonds would be great in this ice cream. If you don’t tolerate dairy you can make it with coconut milk. It still tastes wonderful!
Are you like me and grew up eating a Wendy’s Frosty along side french fries? That’s what this salted chocolate ice cream reminded me of as I was eating it. YUM! Chocolate plus salt…what could be better?!
Even my daughter LOVES it. So it is very kid friendly. It’s a perfect summer treat.
If you like chocolate ice cream you’ll love this salted dark chocolate ice cream. It’s like chocolate ice cream kicked up a notch.
This post is linked to Allergy Free Wednesday.
- 21/2 cups cream (preferably raw) (can be replaced with full fat coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (preferably raw) (can be replaced with full fat coconut milk)
- 1 - 3 egg yolks (optional)
- 3/4 cup sweetener - honey, maple syrup, cane sugar, coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup carob powder (can be replaced with cocoa powder)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. tapioca flour or arrowroot (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. unrefined sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- In a blender combine the cream, milk, egg yolks, sweetener, cocoa powder, carob, vanilla and flour. Blend until smooth.
- Add salt, starting with 1/2 tsp. Blend. Taste and adjust to liking.
- Process the ice cream according to manufacturer's directions (mine takes about 20 minutes in a Kitchen Aid attachment).
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe dish. Stir in add-ins.
- Freeze until firm.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. It will not change the cost of any products or services for you.