This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Summer is here! That means one thing – strawberries. Gluten free strawberry shortcake is the perfect way to enjoy this amazing early summer berry.
Do you love strawberry shortcake in the summer? I’ll confess…I’ve never liked it. Whenever we had it growing up I opted for just vanilla ice cream with the sweetened strawberries on top.
I’ve tried it with a variety of cakes. Shortcake, spongecake, angel food cake, etc. Just not my thing.
But my family enjoys it. So yesterday the kids and I made this gluten free version of shortcake to eat with our fresh strawberries.
This gluten free strawberry shortcake is so easy to make!
The dough comes together in minutes and bakes quickly too. You could have fresh, warm strawberry shortcake in front of you in about twenty minutes, start to finish.
I’ve never been a shortcake fan, but I found myself repeatedly “taste testing” this gluten free strawberry shortcake. I think I’m a convert now. Better yet, my whole family really enjoyed this!
Top the shortcake with slightly sweetened strawberries. Add fresh vanilla ice cream
to complete the perfect summer treat.
Are you a strawberry shortcake lover? If not this gluten free strawberry shortcake might change your mind.
Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
makes 6-9 shortcakes
1 cup white rice flour or brown rice flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour or brown rice flour
1/4 tapioca flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup organic palm shortening or butter
2 Tbsp. organic cane sugar, sucanat or coconut sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk or milk substitute
sweetened strawberries (hull and chop strawberries; add sweetener to taste; let sit for 10 minutes; mash)
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut the shortening into the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt (I do this in my food processor) until it looks like fine crumbs.
3. Add milk. Mix until just blended.
4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead a few times to make sure the dough is mixed well.
5. Pat dough into a disk 1/2″ thick. Cut into rounds (I used a drinking glass with about a 3″ diameter). Repeat until dough is used up.
6. Place rounds about 1″ apart on the baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes, until golden.
7. Serve fresh out of the oven or reheat for a few minutes before serving.
8. Slice warm shortcake in half. Spread butter on both sides if desired. Top the bottom half with sweetened strawberries. Place remaining half on top. Top with more strawberries and whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.