Looking for a new way to use up your abundance of zucchini? Rustic chicken zucchini pie with olive oil crust makes the perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner! Serve it warm or cold any time of day for a filling and nutritious meal.
Summer is about having fun, getting outside and being active. That includes riding bikes, picnics at the park and pool parties.
But summer is also about slowing down, taking it easy and enjoying the simple pleasures. Think lounging on the beach, sitting by the fire watching the stars and snuggling with your kids on a quiet rainy day.
When it comes to soaking up the summer I think of simple, comfort food that utilizes fresh produce.
Rustic chicken zucchini pie is comfort and summer all wrapped up in a pie crust.
It is a cross between pie and pizza.
The crust is a simple soaked dough made with flour, water, olive oil and salt. The filling is chicken and a bit of squash simmered in bone broth until a thick sauce forms. Finally a layer of zucchini tops the pie for a beautiful and delicious dish.
Simple and versatile.
Rustic chicken zucchini pie is fancy enough for dinner guests. Though you might want to make two! It will go quickly.
It is also simple enough for a weeknight meal that the kids will devour.
Eat it with a fork and knife or your hands. Serve it at the dinner table or pack it in a picnic.
Breakfast, lunch or dinner. Warm or cold.
A full meal all wrapped up in a delicious package, rustic chicken zucchini pie is really that good and that versatile.
The thing I love about it is that it is naturally dairy, egg, nut, corn and coconut free. I did use a wheat crust, but gluten free flour can replace the wheat. So it is safe for just about everyone!
If you can tolerate cheese some fresh mozzarella mixed into the sauce or grated parmesan on top would taste great.
No chicken on hand? Swap it for another meat like sausage. Or simply make it a veggie pie. The sauce underneath can be made without the meat. Simply add a little extra squash to the broth for a creamy base.
For all of the busy moms out there chicken zucchini pie is perfect for a grab and go lunch. It’s hard enough to feed the kids let alone find time to make your own lunch. Make a pie at the beginning of the week and grab a slice or two each day for lunch.
If you want to get a head start on school lunches you could make a few chicken zucchini pies, cut them into slices and freeze individual pieces. Simply pull out a piece when you need it for adding to a lunch box or even for an easy breakfast.
I don’t know about you but any time I can get my kids to eat broth while at school is great. Vegetables on top of it is a bonus.
Check out the Lunch Box ebook for more fun recipes (35% off through 9/7/15!)
Don’t let that pile of zucchini go to waste! Create a simple summer dish the family will love. Rustic chicken zucchini pie with olive oil crust is perfect for any occasion.
How do you like to use zucchini – in sweets like zucchini bread, cake and scones or in a savory dish?
Rustic Chicken Zucchini Pie with Olive Oil Crust
Creamy chicken, fresh zucchini and a simple olive oil crust - the perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 1 cup whole wheat, all purpose or gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. pureed squash
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 cup cooked, shredded or diced chicken
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp. of a combination of basil, rosemary and thyme
- In a food processor combine the flour, salt and olive oil. Pulse until crumbly.
- Add the water and lemon juice.
- Process until a ball of dough forms.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 7-24 hours.
- Slice the zucchini and lay it on a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with salt and let sit 20 minutes. Flip and repeat. (This will remove a lot of the water.)
- Pat the zucchini dry with paper towel when done draining.
- While the zucchini is draining, cook the chicken, squash and salt in broth. Simmer until it is thick and the liquid is evaporated, 5-10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Roll the dough into a 12" round on parchment paper.
- Spread the chicken filling on the dough, leaving a 2" border.
- Layer the zucchini on top of the chicken.
- Season with herbs.
- Fold edges of dough onto zucchini.
- Drizzle the top with olive oil.
- Bake for 70 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- This can be served warm, room temp or cold.
- This can be frozen whole or in slices.
- You can add 1/2 cup shredded cheese to the filling and/or the top.
- To make a meatless pie omit the chicken and increase the squash to 1/2 cup.
Just Take A Bite https://justtakeabite.com/
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.